Red wine and pear sorbet

I’ve been thinking of making a red wine and pear sorbet ever since I tasted one at Ice Cream Crankin’ and loved it. I wanted to make it easy, too so I used canned pears. Certainly, fresh pears would taste great, but the peeling and the cooking…not easy. The pear flavor from the canned pears came through just fine.

I brought the wine (a cheap pinot noir) to a boil in order to cook out some of the alcohol. Which I rather regretted after putting a tricyle together right after making the sorbet. Anyhoo, I’m not a scientist of any sort, so I don’t know how long to cook two cups of wine to cook all the alcohol out, but I know it starts disappearing rather quickly. Here’s a little guide if you’re concerned about such things: http://whatscookingamerica.net/WineInCooking.htm.

Another note: the flavor is primarily red wine with a pear accent, I suppose you could say. If you want more pear flavor, you could add more pear (another can) and not overwhelm a 2-quart ice cream maker. The carbonated water is optional; it gives the sorbet a slightly slushy texture that I like but it’s not necessary. If you still have alcohol in the wine, it won’t freeze into a rock.

red wine and pear sorbet

Red Wine and Pear Sorbet
yield: about 1 quart

2 cups red wine
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 can (~15 1/4 ounces) pear chunks
3 tablespoons lemon juice
optional 2 ounces of carbonated water (soda or lemon-lime soda)

Bring the red wine to a boil in a medium saucepan and simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in sugar and salt and set aside to cool.

Lightly puree the pear chunks, pour in a medium bowl and mix in the lemon juice and carbonated water. Mix in the red wine mixture and place the bowl in the refrigerator to cool (about 2-4 hours). Make the sorbet in your ice cream maker according to directions.

This entry was posted in Desserts, Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Red wine and pear sorbet

1. Morgan says:

I always toss a shot of vodka into my sorbet, keeps it from freezing solid. Just a random, unsolicited sorbet making tip from moi.

• Lesley says:

I used to do that. And then I had a baby and that was no longer deemed acceptable. But yes, vodka helps keep your sorbet and popsicles slushy!

2. this looks amazing + you know how i love adding booze to, well, anything. it appears as though you came up with the recipe yourself? very impressive. i can improv my way through savory dishes, but desserts? never works out. i’ll be trying this soon!

• Lesley says:

Oh yeah, I am an ice cream and sorbet-making MACHINE. And popsicles. I ]should make a generator for sorbet [alcohol]+[fruit]+sugar+salt+lemon juice+[carbonated beverage]. Ha!

I bet you could replicate the taste of Jeni’s sorbet by subbing riesling. I haven’t looked at the recipe and it would be slightly different without the poaching but still similar and not $10 for a pint. :)

3. Lannae says:

Wow! That sorbet looks just lovely!

4. Love this! OMG! The more ice cream/sorbet recipes that I see in the blog world, the more I’m convinced that I need an ice cream maker. I’d love to use fresh pears in this too.

5. Oh this looks so delicious! I am new to your blog and am so glad that I found it!!

6. Kelly says:

I had a taste of this sorbet and I can confirm it is really really good. No, I’m serious, it’s delicious! Why aren’t you making it right now?!

7. Mr Eats says:

That sorbet was awesome. The wine taste really came through
    but still had a great hint and texture of pear. Another great sweet,
    Wife!